April 2, 2009

Things I love about Spring

Yesterday as I was driving home from the cannery, I drove past a few of the remaining orchards in Orem. The orchards made me smile. Why? Because they had been recently prunned and that means there will be fruit coming from those trees. I was just so happy to see these trees ready for their swollen buds to burst forth into billowy, blushing blossoms.

Have you ever driven past orchards in bloom? When we lived in Sonora, CA, we would make the trip to Modesto for our greater shopping needs and would have the pleasure to drive through the almond and walnut orchards. I am sure there were peach and other stone fruit trees along the way. I would roll the window down and deeply inhale. Ahh, complete sensory delight.

So, thank you orchard owners for keeping your trees alive and for taking care of their needs. I will be paying your fruit stands a visit in a couple of months for your sweet cherries, juicy peaches and nectarines, plums and finally apples and pears.

3 comments:

Lael said...

It has long been a dream of mine to have a mini-orchard in my yard. Not so much for the fruit (although, I would greatly enjoy that), but for the blossoms. I WISH spring would come to Cache Valley!

Devin & Shalise said...

Oh... that sounds AMAZING!! Send that Spring my way!

Bryn said...

happy to see you up and blogging again!!