April 18, 2008

Single Parenting

This week I am learning what it is like to be a single parent. Well, I guess not exactly what it is like, since I do not have to earn a living, make arrangements for childcare, etc...So I experienced a watered down version of Single Parenting.
We have been blessed to have Toby working from home for the past couple of months. The children really enjoy being able to see dad upstairs in his office whenever they like - until the door gets locked due to multiple visits. No problem, it's fair. I mean, he is working and talking on the phone with a client with "dad, I gotta go poop" in the background is less than ideal.
So, my faithful, fair-skinned husband is in Paris right now with his father filming conferences about media censorship in China during the Olympics.
As the date of his departure got closer and closer, the feeling of uneasiness and dread got stronger and stronger. I have never been completely alone with the three children before and I was nervous. It is also Spring Break and I will have all three children all day. Also, all of our friends will be out of town so there will be no play dates. I have always had the assurance of relief, of a break, of being able to use the bathroom, of being able to talk to an adult. So, how are things going? Very well.
Definitely inspired ideas have flooded my mind. We have been busy and having fun. We went to a children's garden today and the kids got in some much needed running amok time with their cousins. We are planning a movie tomorrow and we have been working in the yard, going to the gym, riding bikes and trikes, watching TV, laughing at Mr. Bean and enjoying ice cream Thursdays.
Tomorrow I get to spearhead Bagel Saturday. The boys were worried that I would not know how to do it since I am usually still in bed when they leave with their father for this weekend ritual. I figure I know where the store is, I have money and can drive...I think the boys will take care of the rest.

1 comment:

Lael said...

I too create a big itinerary to follow when my hubby is out of town. We usually visit new parks, make a rare visit to the mall, anything to kill time and vent child energy!