April 15, 2008

Dogs

I remember my mom telling me about their dog Sadie and her peculiar habits. She would saunter to each neighbor's house, show her big brown dog eyes and would receive a treat. We did not know how good her treats were until one neighbor confessed that when the BBQ'd, they always made a serving for Sadie. Her route was so specific, that she actually wore a path into the grass of our neighbors.

I think we should have recognized something was going on...dog food is still full, dog is getting really fat. Hmmm. Other memorable habits included rolling in dead animals. I am not sure what pleasure she derived from this disgusting ritual-maybe it was a status symbol. "Hey do you smell like 7-day raccoon? Snifffff. Yep. My hero."

It is with sadness I discovered that our beloved Zip cannot get enough of dead bird. I thought she smelled different yesterday and I kept smelling her odor every time she was within 20 feet of me. I could not understand what was causing the stink - was she in heat (nope, fixed), did she get sprayed by a cat...and then the evidence presented itself. Yep, dead bird. Gross, gross, gross. Tonight I washed her and after the cream rinse, she smelled like she just stepped out of a salon. I am afraid of letting the dog outside for fear of her finding something else to roll all over herself.

No comments: