December 2, 2008

Lawn Mowing in December 2008

Yesterday afternoon, I primed the gas pump of our trusty lawn mower. After 50 pulls or so, I was on my way to a leaf-free yard. Yes, our two beautiful, LARGE, Norway maples finally gave up their last golden leaves. I even mowed up the super tiny leaves of our next-door-neighbor's flowering hawthorne tree. I stood back to look at my handiwork after, and to scrape the same neighbor's doggie doo off my boot, and was in awe. Mainly in awe because I was mowing the lawn IN DECEMBER! Lawn Mowing and In December just don't belong in the same sentence, especially since this lawn mowing took place at the base of the ROCKY MOUNTAINS in Utah county. I don't think I ever mowed our moss-grass in California in December because it had stopped growing by then. Paradise, the town we lived in, claimed to be above the fog and below the snow. Not mediterranean by any stretch, but lovely just the same.

So, thank you Mother Nature for giving me one last day to enjoy the warm sun on my cheek, the smell of grass, dust and gasoline and one more day to admire my freshly manicured lawn before you dump your sparkly powder. If you don't mind, please speed it up. The kids and I are dying to go sledding and sip hot chocolate.

No comments: