November 20, 2008

I made Kimchi!



You may wonder why I would spend my precious food budget money on making something stinky and unappealing to most people. Well, I for one like kimchi and I wanted to try my hand at making this pickled/fermented vegetable for myself. I mean, I did not want to spend around $5.00 for a PINT jar of the stuff when I could make 2 large napa cabbages worth of it for far less. It is still fermenting in my garage (for obvious olfactory reasons) and should be good to go by tomorrow. I have visions of eating this delicious concoction with fresh steamed rice and making kimchi chigae - my mouth is watering!

Now for some shameless plugs:

I happened upon a great resource for Korean cooking on youtube. The star of the cooking is Maangchi. She has produced numerous cooking spots on her blog that show in detail, the wondrous art of Korean cooking. If you have a hankering for some kimchi, mandu or some of those tasty side dishes, then please visit http://www.maangchi.com.

If you become inspired to create some of these dishes and need a good Korean Market, then I will point you in the direction of First Oriental Market in Orem, UT. It is on State Street just north of Hancock Fabrics, behind the Greek Grill. They have everything you need and more to create all of Maangchi's recipes. Wahoo!

5 comments:

Toby Palmer said...

I can't wait to taste your dish!

Bryn said...

Wow just in time for thanksgiving....I've heard fresh kimchi is the "bomb." Let us know how it goes!!

I have loved "Show me the Curry." on you tube as well.

Dru said...

Jessica's little brother just got home from Korea, so I will send him your valuable web links.

As for the kimchi - I'm not a big fan so I hope you enjoy it.

Have you ever had fish-sauce? I love it on egg-rolls. I'll spare you the details, but it is pretty much just 'fermented dead fish sweat' in a bottle. Yummy!!!!

muggins mahooney said...

Oh melissa!!!
You're such a great cook. Why are you making this stuff? Even Pres. Hinkley said he would never touch kimchi. Follow the Prophet my dear!
Please redeem yourself by making fantastic hotdog buns tomorrow. Hey I might have some stuff in the compost tumbler that might pair well with the kimchi though:) Just a thought.
You know I love you and as a show of good will I would eat an equal weight of kimchi for you eating cheese. What do you say?

Toby Palmer said...

Michelle - not on your life :)