November 1, 2008

I actually got change!


Yes, that's right! Today when I filled up the trusty jeep, I was shocked and then elated that I was going to receive change! Every two weeks I have $60.00 to fuel the Palmer family transport and during the peak of the fuel pricing, $60.00 would fill me up to half. HALF!! Granted my tank is about 23 gallons, but still - HALF!!
It wasn't a large amount of money, but a few bills and some silver can now be used to perhaps wash the lovely antiqued look off the jeep. I don't even have deer hunting as an excuse for the layer of dust. However, it is going to rain tomorrow - perhaps this change will just have to wait.


Now I know some of you are wondering what change is because of the beauty of electronic money. We have instigated the "envelope system" at our house. This means that I have an envelope with cash for my gas money, food money, household money (diapers, TP, soap, etc...), date night money, and so on. This means once the money is gone from the envelope, you're done spending. This system has really worked for us. I don't carry plastic anymore (ok, I do have a fresh values card) and I just have to plan out my day - meaning no impulse buying. So there you go. If you want to know more, just ask Toby. He loves sharing the Palmer family budget success story.

No comments: