September 2, 2009

Homesick

It has been almost 2 weeks since my firstborn started another school year. He was nervous in the days preceeding the start of school because he was certain that he would not like his teacher. She has a reputation as being mean and yelling. After meeting her at back to school night and also during a reading interview, he changed his mind. "She's really nice!", was the reply to "So what do you think of your teacher?" I feel comfortable with his teacher and am glad that she keeps a finger on her students. The class is small, only 17 students at my last count on back to school night, which I consider a good thing.

So why the title Homesick? Well, my blonde cutie tells me that he gets homesick at recess. My heart melts because I know what that feeling is like and I know it is hard to overcome when so young. My son is such a tender soul and my aching heart just wants to scoop him up, wrap him in a blanket, have treats and play all day. As we were talking about his homesickness, I said I could put a small picture of our family in his binder. He said he would probably cry. Oh, my heartstrings! I have been praying to know how to help him and I hope I will do what is good and right for him. Does anyone out there have advice for soothing the ache of homesickness?

3 comments:

marymary said...

Awwww. That is heartmelting. I wish I had any great advice. I was shocked when Zuzu, who adored kindgarten, came home sad the first few days this year. I couldn't figure it out, but then I realized -- duh -- it's a huge adjustment going for the whole day. I guess it wasn't on my radar because Jane's so social she took to it like a fish to water. But Zuzu's always been much more of a homebody, so it makes perfect sense. Fortunately though, she already seems to be over the first little hurdle and is really liking all day school. The one thing I'm still concerned about is it sounds like there are a couple of especially difficult kids in the class this year and their misbehaving and negative interactions with the teacher upset Zuzu. I don't know what, if anything, I can do about that.

Lael said...

That is so hard! It is such a long day, Gabe has had a hard time too ... I'll call and we'll have to talk.

Melissa said...

Mary, I am feeling the need to get into the classroom to feel the energy of the class. Sundance's teacher is also vague on the homework front as well, especially with spelling homework - it is non-existent except for Monday. Other's misbehaving kids is a hard one...